Avoid Windshield Repair Scams
Auto-glass repair scammers can affect your insurance
In this blog we will explain how these scammers work and how to avoid it.
Scammers won’t tell you who they work for.
The scammers are usually unmarked salespeople posted up at gas stations, car washes, or anywhere with lots of vehicle traffic.
The scammers’ typical tactic is to tell you that your windshield needs to be repaired or replaced when there is no visible damage other than a little chip.
Sometimes, the repair person offers cash or any other type of incentive if you sign the forms to authorize the work. The car owner doesn’t know it, but by signing the forms — which include AOB language in small print — they are transferring all of their insurance rights to the repair shop. Just like that, their legal rights to any insurance claim or lawsuit are gone.
The glass scam technician wants a substantial profit for his repair business. The insurance company wants the repair done at reasonable cost. There may be a way to make progress on all three goals, but it is not through an assignment of your insurance benefits. When the insurance company and the auto glass shop don’t get into an agreement, the auto glass companies who do these scams will sue the owner’s car insurance company.
The worst comes during the next time that you apply for auto insurance. It will tell the insurance underwriting departments that you acted in a manner to increase an insurance company’s cost of settling a claim. You may get a repair done for zero cost this year, but you are likely to pay for it over and over in years to come.
How to Avoid Auto Insurance Scammers in florida
- A good start is to research an auto glass repair and replacement company before doing business with them
- Get more than one written estimate before moving forward with windshield repairs or replacements
- Don’t accept off-the-book repairs.
- Don’t let someone pressure you into letting them do work.
- Make sure they are certified technicians
- Don’t pay until the work is complete
- Find an auto glass company with years of experience
- If someone approaches you to tell you that your windshield is damaged, question them about their company and experiences. Look for references.
Unfortunately, there are many auto glass companies scamming and filing lawsuits to the auto insurance company. At Y&L Auto Glass, we advise you to take all the necessary precautions before choosing an auto glass company. Y&L Auto Glass is a legitimate and reliable auto glass business that you can trust. We provide free quotes! Drop us a line at (833) 954-5277; we will be happy to hear from you. We do our best for our customers because we believe it’s just right.