Temporary Fix for a Broken Car Window
Damaged auto glass is a safety hazard that should be fixed as soon as possible. Unfortunately for us, sometimes we cannot take the car into an auto glass shop immediately. If your car has been broken into, it’s important to take the proper steps to secure the vehicle so that law enforcement can investigate the incident properly.
After a window on a car is broken, outside elements can enter into your car. This includes things like pests or rain. It also makes it unsafe to leave your car without supervision. It’s easier for a thief to steal something from your car or even gain access to steal your car.
There are some ways to secure your vehicle before doing a car window replacement at a reliable auto glass shop. In this blog, we will provide you with some tips to make a temporary fix.
- Clean the area.
- At Y&L Auto Glass, safety is first. We recommend using gloves.
- Open the car door carefully. Remember, there may be tiny glass shards.
- Remove the broken glass as much as you can. If you have a shop vacuum, don’t hesitate to use it to vacuum away the excess pieces. You might have to vacuum the vehicle repeatedly depending on the amount of glass shards. 2. Prepare the car window frame area.
- Wipe down the frame area and window seal. Make sure to remove the dust as much as possible. It will allow the tape to stick when we put the temporary window.
- Put masking tape at the bottom of the window frame.
- Line the inside of the window with masking tape.
- Add tape underneath across the entire door
3. Make a temporary window
- A temporary fix can be done with a clear packing. Always start from inside the car. Begin on one side of the window from button to top making sure that the tape touches the window frame.
- All of the pieces have to overlap one another and cover all the windows.
- Repeat the process until the area is completely covered. Check that you applied the tape correctly so the layers are even.
- Repeat the same process on the outside window. Our focus is to keep the rest of the broken glass inside the window frame.
These temporary fixes can help protect you and your vehicle until you are ready to make a proper repair: a car window replacement. Remember, this is just an emergency solution to fix the broken window. You shouldn’t be driving more than the needed distance with a broken window.
At Y&L Auto Glass, our main priority is our customer’s safety, that‘s why we created our mobile service. Our expert auto glass technicians will arrive at your location and assist you with your auto glass needs. We provide Free Quotes or you can give us a call for more information at (833) 954-5277.