How to clean your auto glass without scratching it
One of the most important things to clean when washing your car is the auto glass. Sometimes, cleaning your windshield and car windows can be challenging.
We need to be aware that cleaning our car’s glasses isn’t the same as cleaning our house’s glasses. Auto glasses and house glasses aren’t made of the same materials. That’s why we want you to learn the proper way to clean your auto glass without scratching it.
Tips to cleaning your auto glass without scratching it
Before you start cleaning your auto glass, we recommend having the tools/products ready. Keep in mind that you must use the right tools and products. Here is a list of the essential items you will need:
- A microfiber towel, because it is gentle on the glass. You will need it to apply the cleaning products on your auto glass.
- Automotive glass cleaner – ask at the store which one is the best for your vehicle’s glass. You can also look at the product instructions.
The proper way to clean your auto glass
- First things first. To properly clean your auto glass, make sure there’s no debris on it. If your windshield or car windows are dirty, you’ll need to re-clean it to remove heavy contaminants and use a separate microfiber cloth.
- It’s better to apply the glass cleaner on the cloth rather than spray it on the glass. That way, you will avoid getting spray on other surfaces that you just cleaned. When using the microfiber towel, you need to move in multiple directions to avoid leaving swirls.
- When it comes to cleaning the inside of your windshield or car windows, you’ll want to cover the seats or dashboard to prevent dripping glass cleaner on it. Don’t forget to clean the side mirrors and the rearview mirror as well.
A good technique is to work in small areas at a time. since the glass cleaner dries fast. Working in small areas allows it to dry on its own.
- Never use ammonia products on your auto glass, as these are dangerous when applied to your vehicle. They can dehydrate the materials and cause cracks and discoloration.
- Do not use paper towels. These will contribute to scratches on the surface of your glass.
- Water spots are something no one wants to have and, even worse, get dried on your vehicle. To avoid these, you’ll have to double-check that you’re using the right products. If you get stuck with water spots on your windshield or auto windows, you can use a window cleaner and a soft-bristled toothbrush to scrub them from the surface of the windows.
- Do not use the same towel to apply and dry the products.
- Avoid cleaning your auto glass in direct sunlight.
We hope to have provided useful information about how to properly clean your windshield. Remember how important it is to apply and buff your glass cleaner correctly if you want to ensure a quality finish.
Y & L auto Glass
Don’t neglect your auto glass! It is an important part of your vehicle safety, and without the proper maintenance, it can result in an early replacement. If you need help with your auto glass, contact Y & L Auto Glass. We’ll be happy to hear from you!