DIY car window replacement
Broken car windows or chips are very common, even for the most careful drivers. It doesn’t matter if it was a thief that broke into your car or it was caused by any type of debris. A DIY car window replacement may sound intimidating, but in this blog post, we are providing some easy steps that will help you replace your auto window.
What tools do you need to replace a car window?
- First of all, a new window replacement.
- Vehicle service manual, it’s crucial because your vehicle may have some specific instructions to replace a window.
- A vacuum to use before replacing the new window.
- Screwdriver set.
- Socket set.
- Safety is important, don’t forget to wear gloves.
- Eye protection, it’s crucial, don’t start the job without wearing good eye protection.
- Trim removal tools (or something similar to pry with).
Removing the damaged car window
- Your vehicle manual is a big help when it comes to removing any auto part, you can see how many clips, screws, or bolts you’ll have to remove. You need to access the door panel to remove the old window. Make sure you’ve removed all that is needed before access to the door panel.
- Now that the panel is removed, be really careful and remove the vapor barrier. Take advantage and vacuum any glass shards that you found away from the door panel.
- Ensure you disconnect the plug that powers the window motor. This is an important step you can’t miss.
- Start removing the weather seal at the top of the doorframe so you have more space to remove the glass.
- Now loosen the hardware and remove the damaged window.
Installing the new window replacement
- You can adjust the window track to make installation easier if needed.
- Lower the window through the slit in the top of the doorframe and gently wiggle the new window into place.
- Time to reinstall the hardware that secures the window to the regulator.
- Keep all the tools and your vehicle manual handy at all times.
- It’s recommended to take a picture before removing the screws, clips, and bolts; it helps to remember where to put them back.
- Ask a friend or relative to help you during the process.
Window replacement at Y & L Auto Glass
Contact us for any type of auto glass replacement, we are ready to assist you. Let the expert make the replacement for you in a timely manner. Give us a call for more information, we’ll be glad to hear from you!